Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Goals - Nasty Little Buggers.



Goals, aren’t they nasty little buggers?

They tease you; taunt you like a worm on a hook. “Come, try to reach me,” they whisper as they wiggle, inches before your nose. And if you’re not careful, if you don’t keep your eye on the hook, those goals are jerked away and before you know it, you’re a hungry little bass in an ocean of sharks.

I won’t lie; I’ve had my tasty worm tugged away on more than one occasion. I’ve gotten close enough to get a taste and know I want more. But there’s a fine line between the doable and biting off more than I can chew. I have a habit of filling my plate too high, wanting to fly before I’ve learned to walk.

This time, my goals are less defined, more flexible. Instead of a daily word count, I’ll strive for writing time. Instead of getting an agent by a certain date, it’s querying a certain number each week, that kind of thing. And each day gets different goals depending on life and what not.

This week I plan to:

Write 30 minutes in each WIP (work in progress) each day and there are three of them. (WIP’s not days, last I checked there are seven days in a week. Correct me if I’m wrong)
Locate, join and participate in one writing group.
Write the first draft of one short story for either a contest or submission.
Maintain social networking stuff AKA branding.
Maintain this blog and follow a new one each day.

From where I’m sitting, these seem doable without being overwhelming. We’ll see. And as always, Write on Writers of the World!

No comments:

Post a Comment