Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Character Take Over #3


I was there when the world ended and let me tell you it wasn’t at all like I expected it would be. There was no warning, no indication that something was going to happen that day. I woke up, got my kids all off to school and day care, day dreamed while stuck in the morning rush. You know, the basic everyday bump and grind. But then I got a call from my oldest son.

“Mom, something freaky is going on at school. The army is here, taking everyone onto buses. Anna is with me, we’re in the woods. What should I do?”

Of course my first thought was let them do their jobs and I’ll be there as soon as I can. But as I slung my purse over my shoulder, my gut twitched. “Get the hell out of there! Take your sister and run!”

“Where? Mom, I’m scared.”

“I know Seth, baby, just do as I say. I’ll get your sister and brother and meet you at that place we did that thing that one year with the honey. I love you so much.”

No matter what I tried, I was stuck. They had shut down every road leading out of the city. Every last one, and I knew I had to get to my babies before something horrible happened to them. But how in the world was I going to do that when men with gun mounted tanks blocked my way? When men and women were being gunned down in the streets when they tried to push through?

No comments:

Post a Comment